Monday 22 May 2017

Day 10 - Brathay 10 in 10

Day 10 Brathay 10 in 10

21/05/17

The Grand Finale !!!

This years 10 in 10 was so much harder with only 14 weeks to train after my broken ankle and a couple of weeks taper things didn't quite go as planned. The training went ok and I built the miles up to a peak week of about 80 miles. I felt confident and then the week before my glute went into spasm and my leg tightened up. I went to the physio and it loosened up, but on the 1st day of the 10 it tightened up again and was quite painful in my quad. After Physio that afternoon it sort of loosened. I did a foam rolling session and a good stretch off that evening had a flush out in the morning and off I went. I don't think I got 6 mile in before my quad started hurting. It got worse and worse the further I went and I ended up walking the last 4 mile. The doubts were coming thick and fast. Not enough training, not gonna finish, but I gave myself a good talking too and made it back. That evening $ physio's worked on me all together it was horrendous. I remember Adam saying something to the effect I was made of granite. He got stuck in my quad and IT band and it hurt so much I ended up with a sore throat from screaming. Straight after I went in the ice bath. It worked as from that day I just got stronger finishing with my fastest.

Day 10 started early I went to the treatment room Laura and Martyna were already there. I took my ipod with some upbeat dance music on to liven me up and gave the girls a little pressie I'd got for them. I was sat up getting my quads done when Adam came in with a team camera dude t-shirt on, i'd managed to compose myself till then, but I felt a big lump in my throat and my eyes were welling up. Laura asked me if I was ok and I said yes and tried to focus on the music and managed to get myself settled. I went back up to shackleton for a shower and had a little blub when I was on my own and then was ok. I went back for taping then headed down to the Athletes room. Soon it was time to head to the lawn for our huddle and lucy did a speech which brought tears to all our eyes, this was it everything we had all been through together and remembering our good friend Martin Campbell better known camera dude. Our lap of honour was upon us.




The run started on the drive today and before long we were off in the rain. It wasn't windy and was still quite warm. I didn't have a jacket on and was totally enjoying the cool rain bouncing off my skin. My foot was sore but I knew it would ease up. The adrenaline was pumping through me and I just wanted the 1st 4 mile over. Once I got to Hawkshead, running up some of the hills I'd walked, I settled into a nice steady pace and soaked up the views and smells for the last time. Because it had rained everything smelled fresh, the flowers, trees and garlic but not the dead badger near mile 10 that stunk really bad yuk. As I was nearing Newby bridge I heard the whistle of the steam train, then I saw the smoke through the trees, then it was alongside me and it just beat me to the bridge but it left the distinct smell of smoke behind. Reminds me when my dad used to take us to steam town when we were kids and we used to stand on the footbridge when the steam trains went under. Happy days!!! From there I turned the corner and was cheered along outside the swan, shouts of well done and keep going. I ran past the water station at fell foot and headed straight for the box in the layby. The marshals were great offering out sweets and water and electrolyte and cheering you on. Next I plodded up the rollercoaster for the last time. I don't know if it was the adrenaline or the fact that the weather was cool but I actually ran halfway up the big hills I felt strong today. There was loads of beeps and support out too, it gives you such a boost. 16 mile in and the marshal shouted up the hill what's your name so I shouted sonja so he got my bottle for me I swapped bottles with him thanked him and carried on. Just before I got to 17 mile the pace car came up for the Brathay windermere marathon and for all of about 3 mins I was leading the marathon. The first man came past and shouted well done to me, he was just bounding along, he disappeared round the corner and I folled him. At mile 18 kev was there and handed me my bottle without my label, I saw him take it off and wondered what he was doing. Later I found out that he had attached the 10 in 10 runners labels to a tree. Next box was at Bowness, just before you drop down onto the front. All week tourist have just not noticed you were there. A couple of days 1 of the boat guys shouted out to me as I ran past, but today it was awesome everyone was on there feet cheering as I ran past it made me feel really good. At some point Sally Ford the 1st female and a runner in the camera dude team ran past shouting well done as she went by. Wish I had her legs lol. I headed to ice-cream mountain and Mac was at the top waiting to give me my bottle. Only 4 1/2 mile left. I focussed on getting 1 foot in front of the other and just keep going. The emotions were starting to surface and the tears began to flow, I was doing this for local children and I was going to complete it. Every penny I raised was helping disadvantaged and vulnerable children all the pain was worth it. I kept going took my drink out of the box at 24 mile and walked down the hill drinking it. I set off running again to more beeping horns and shouts of encouragement I crossed over the foot bridge and tickled the otters belly for the last time then set off running up the hill and towards Brathay. I walked partly up the drive then ran the rest took a deep breath at the top and ran down to the finish line. The crowd was amazing and I could feel the tears coming I focused on the finish line and punched the air. I felt fantastic, 3 Brathay 10 in 10's, a hatrick,  nearly £18,000 raised. I'd done it. My family were there waiting hugs and tears all round and a big hug off Aly. She is the backbone of this event, a beautiful person with a heart of gold and huge hugs. Thankyou for helping me believe in myself.

 



Big hugs with all my friends as I headed to the Athletes room for a good stretch out with Martyna and Laura, shower then beer tent for a well earned beer. We had the presentation with Joss Naylor and he told me I was an inspiration, get that from the man himself. He is an awesome dude. After the presentation I chilled out on the lawn with my friends and family until we had to get ready for the celebration dinner.

 




I would just like to thank Aly, Mac, Paul, Jimbo, Chris, My fellow runners, my physio's Laura and Martyna, Adam and Katie and all the other physio's who were a great bunch, everyone who supported me throughout the 10 days, everyone who donated to my just giving page, everyone who donated cash, prizes, cakes, bought cakes, raffle tickets, horses and jockey's and everyone else who supported me throughout my training, Becky lewis & David Jackson, fundraising and the event you are all awesome and I couldn't have done it without you. We have done the kids proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment